Magic Set Editor Templates

A forum for discussion of Magic Set Editor templates and use.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Template Index
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:02 am 

pichoro wrote:
So, you've tried changing the file type to a zip, and attempted to open it? How did you try to open it? With MSE, or with the native tool for handling zip archives that's built into Windows? You should not be using MSE to open it after changing it to a zip.

I generally use WinRAR for .zip and .rar archives. I find that it has more utility than the native tool on Windows. That being said, I've tried using both WinRAR and the native Windows tool, and the results have been the same each time.

My process has been as follows:
1. Download the archive.
2. Open the archive using WinRAR (or the the native Windows tool).
3. Double-click on the installer file.
4. When I double-click the installer, Windows prompts me to select a program with which to open the file. I'm thinking that the installer should just run when I double-click it, but it doesn't. I've tried selecting MSE at the Windows prompt, but all that does is open MSE. It doesn't install anything. I've tried fooling around and selecting various other programs to open the installer, but no dice.
5. Having failed to get the installer to run, I've copied it to my data folder and changed the file extension to .zip. Then I try double-clicking again, which would open it with WinRAR if it were an actual archive. But I just get an error message, saying that the archive is in an unknown format or is damaged. Then I try right-clicking on the .zip file and selecting "extract," but I get another error message saying that no archive was found. Then I try right-clicking and selecting "open with..." and using first Windows Explorer and then WinRAR, but both say that they're unable to open it.
6. Next I try changing the installer file's extension to .mse-installer. This hasn't worked for me, either.
7. Next I try changing the installer's extension to .exe and double-clicking. This brings up an error message saying that the software isn't compatible with my version of Windows.
8. I've also tried copying and pasting each of the folders in the archive to my MSE data folder, in the hopes that they would just magically appear in the program without my running the installer. Obviously, this hasn't worked.

pichoro wrote:
If you've been trying to use the zip tool built into Windows and getting that message, there is something wrong with your download. If that is the case, would you mind re-attaching it here or emailing me so I may have a look at the offending file?

Would you like me to attach the entire archive, just as I downloaded it, or would you like me to extract the installer file and attach just that?

pichoro wrote:
Do these problems happen with more than one installer?

So far, I've tried downloading the Recently Printed Styles archive, the Modern Extra archive, and (just for kicks) the Alpha Beta Unlimited archive. I've had the same problem with all of the installers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

Have you tried 7zip?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Administrator

Marbox wrote:
My process has been as follows:
1. Download the archive.
2. Open the archive using WinRAR (or the the native Windows tool).
3. Double-click on the installer file.

This concerns me because you shouldn't have to open the archive, and then double-click to run the installer. The installer IS the archive, and you would either run it as downloaded with MSE, or unzip it and put the contents into your data folder.

Marbox wrote:
Would you like me to attach the entire archive, just as I downloaded it, or would you like me to extract the installer file and attach just that?

Why not both, attached separately?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:25 am 

Carl Miller wrote:
Have you tried 7zip?

No, but considering that both the native Windows tool and WinRAR can open the archives without any problems and all of the files and folders are accessible, and it's only when I try to run the installer file that I have problems, I doubt that it would make a difference.

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:28 am 

pichoro wrote:
This concerns me because you shouldn't have to open the archive, and then double-click to run the installer. The installer IS the archive, and you would either run it as downloaded with MSE, or unzip it and put the contents into your data folder.

When I try to open the archive from within MSE, I get the following message on the console:
File not found: 'set' in package '(insert file path here)'

pichoro wrote:
Why not both, attached separately?

I'll send that off as an email right now, with both attached separately. Thanks for looking into it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:33 am 

Okay, the email didn't go through. Maybe the attachments were too large. The Recently Printed Styles archive is too large to attach here, so I tried to attach just the extracted installer, but I got the error message "The extension is not allowed." I'm guessing this is because the extracted installer appears to have no file extension (including .mse-installer).

It may be a moot point, though. I was finally able to drag-and-drop the individual folders from the archive into my data folder, and the MSE2 program recognized them and I now have four ability walkers. (Sweet!) I had to drag-and-drop each individual folder. My system wouldn't let me "extract to" the data folder. I still don't know why that is. I also still have no idea why I wasn't able to install it the normal way.

Does one of these archives include the Phyrexian mana symbols? I haven't seen them listed in any of the templates.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm 
Administrator

Marbox wrote:
Does one of these archives include the Phyrexian mana symbols? I haven't seen them listed in any of the templates.

Actually, any template with "modern" style templates (including 4-walkers) should have phyrexian mana included, if you drag and drop all of the included folders.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

pichoro wrote:
Actually, any template with "modern" style templates (including 4-walkers) should have phyrexian mana included, if you drag and drop all of the included folders.

Okay, thanks. I now have Phyrexian mana installed, as well. Now I can get back to work on my set.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 pm 

Would it be at all possible for you to upload the MTG Vanguard templates?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:35 pm 
Administrator

Carl Miller wrote:
Would it be at all possible for you to upload the MTG Vanguard templates?

They are on my todo list when I get more time to host templates again. Unfortunately, I'm very busy with work this time of year. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next